Training for Social Action Trainers (TSAT) For People of Color
November 30-December 2, 2018 – Philadelphia
Join us for an intensive training designed for people of color who are working as trainers, facilitators, educators, or organizers who want to enhance their skills for effectively working with groups to create social change. This workshop is intended for people of all levels of experience who want support, challenge, and the opportunity to learn from other people of color as they take their next steps with these skills and deepen their self-awareness.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 15, 2018
Training for Social Action Trainers (TSAT) For People of Color
Training and facilitation skills are a key element to successful organizing and movement building. These skills develop new leaders, transfer skills and knowledge between generations, create more participation within groups, resolving conflict and provide the discipline needed for successful actions. Yet, few people who play the role of educator, trainer, or facilitator in their work are offered an opportunity to learn a framework for training that supports their experience or a chance to hone their skills among other trainers. Leadership by people of color is vital to the critical movements of our time. This workshop is designed to support participants to develop a stronger sense of confidence, options, tools, and approaches that will work for them to be effective in their leadership roles.
Note: This workshop covers the same content as our regular Training for Social Action Trainers (TSAT), with some additions and modifications meant to help participants get the most out of a people of color-specific learning environment.
WORKSHOP FEE This workshop costs $200-$700 US, sliding scale based on income. The fee includes over 23 hours of training, meals during workshop hours, and simple lodging for people who request it. To determine your fee, use the chart below.
|If your income is…||$15,000||$15,001 – $25,000||$25,001 – $35,000||$35,001 – $45,000||$45,001 – $55,000||over $55,000|
If you are being sent by an organization with an annual budget over $200,000, the fee is $700 US.
As a participant, you will ...
- Gain greater awareness about yourself and your strengths as a facilitator;
- Get a chance to take risks, experiment and refine skills in a safe and supportive environment;
- Get the stimulation of fresh approaches and increased options;
- Receive personal guidance from experienced trainers in a small group setting ;
- Learn new tools that are easily adapted, principles of workshop design, skills for working with diversity and a better understanding of how to use experiential education methods effectively.
Who should attend this workshop?
- Organizers, community members and activists wanting to use training more effectively in their work
- Less-experienced and experienced facilitators, trainers and group leaders
- Teachers, educators, spiritual leaders, cultural workers, artists and others who want more experiential tools.
- To enhance workshop facilitation and design skills
- To increase the training tools you can use effectively
- To gain greater awareness of yourself as facilitator
- To meet and receive support from other trainers and learn about new developments in the field
The workshop begins with dinner and registration at 6PM Day One and runs until 6PM Day Three. The workshop hours for each day are as follows:
- Day One, start 6:00 PM, end between 9:00-10:00 PM, dinner provided
- Day Two, (8:00 or 9:00 AM breakfast) start 9:00 or 10:00 AM, end between 9:00-10:00 PM, lunch and dinner provided
- Day Three, (8:00 or 9:00 AM breakfast) start 9:00 or 10:00AM, end by 6:00 PM, lunch and afternoon snacks provided.
Though the hours of this workshop are long, we’ve found that our training style helps keep people engaged, alert and energized through the time. We also provide short and extended breaks within our agenda and encourage participants to take care of themselves so that they can stay fully present. Please contact us in advance if you have questions or concerns about the long hours of this workshop.
The workshop is designed as an experiential package with each session building on the previous session. We want to create the best learning environment possible for participants to absorb the combined learning of each session and therefore WE DO NOT ALLOW PARTIAL ATTENDANCE, you must commit to taking the entire workshop. The central components of this workshop help participants build their skills in the areas of creating safety and cohesion so that a group can do its best work together, using experiential activities to elicit the wisdom of the group and guide their learning, working with diversity within groups, and principles of design that support stronger workshops.
Throughout the workshop there are multiple opportunities for discussion about specific questions or challenges that you may want to explore. This workshop is a fun but rigorous workshop and as participants stretch themselves to become better trainers, strong emotions can surface. We do our best to support you to take care of yourself in this workshop and get the most learning out of challenging moments.
Application and Acceptance Process
We aim to confirm participants at least a month before the training. We’re mindful that folks coming from out of town need time to book travel, and we’ll follow up as soon as possible about the acceptance process. Please don’t book travel or accommodations until we confirm registration.
We’re committed to accepting a diverse group for each training and to supporting folks with less access to resources to attend. People of color, working class folks, and folks from less-resourced organizations are encouraged to apply. We also aim to accept people with specific groups, projects, or organizations back home to apply what they learn. If you’d prefer to apply by phone instead of online, there is a phone number included in the application.
Judith C. Jones Fellowship for Trainers of Color
Graduates of Training for Social Action Trainers who identity as people of color are eligible to apply for our Judith C. Jones Fellowship for Trainers of Color. Learn more about the Fellowship, here.
Bring this workshop to you!
Do you want to host this workshop with members of your organization or group? If you have multiple group members or staff interested in this training, we can come to you. To request we bring this workshop to your group, submit a custom request and let us know.