Advanced Training of Trainers (ADTOT)
Deepen and broaden your facilitation skills in an advanced workshop open only to graduates of Training for Social Action Trainers. Together we’ll tackle some of training’s biggest challenges — including doing cross-cultural work, handling conflict and strong emotions, and modifying workshop designs on the fly — and experiment with new solutions.
NOTE: Applicants must have taken a Training for Social Action Trainers to be eligible for the ADTOT.
WORKSHOP FEE This workshop costs $450-$1,500 USD, sliding scale based on income. The fee includes over 50 hours of training, meals during workshop hours, and simple lodging for people who request it. To determine your fee, use the chart below. Scholarship applications are available when you apply for this workshop.
|If your income is…||$15,000||$15,001 – $25,000||$25,001 – $35,000||$35,001 – $45,000||$45,001 – $55,000||over $55,000|
For organizations with an annual budget of $200,000 or more, the fee for this workshop is $1,500. If you have questions about the fee or the workshop, feel free to contact us!
As a participant, you will
- Receive in-depth, personal coaching on your goals
- Prepare for cross-cultural work, including international training
- Use more practice time to experiment with new approaches in a supportive setting
- Learn about more training tools and how to use them effectively
- Meet trainers with a range of life experiences
- To assist each participant to take their next step as a facilitator or trainer
- To develop skill in emergent design
- To explore some of the growth edges of training in group dynamics, cultural dynamics including diversity and difference, and working with strong emotions
Who should attend?
- Graduates of the Training for Social Action Trainers
- Experienced trainers wanting to learn how to respond to group dynamics effectively
- Leaders looking to transform or support a group through a transition or conflict
- Activists wanting to increase their ability to facilitate during chaos and confusion
- Organizers wanting TFC to work more closely with your group
- Anyone invested in building powerful multi-racial movements working for radical change
The workshop hours for each day are as follows:
- Day One: start 6:00 PM, end between 9:00-10:00PM, dinner provided
- Day Two thru Five: (8:00 or 9:00AM breakfast) start 9:00 or 10:00AM, end between 9:00-10:00PM, lunch and dinner provided
- Day Six: (8:00 or 9:00AM breakfast) start 9:00 or 10:00AM, end by 6:00PM, lunch and afternoon snacks provided.
Though the hours of this workshop are long, we’ve found that our experiential style helps keep people engaged, alert and energized through the weekend. We also provide time for short and extended breaks within our agenda and encourage participants to take care of themselves so that they can stay fully present. Please contact us in advance if you have questions or concerns about the long hours of this workshop.
The workshop is designed as an experiential package with each session building on the previous session. We want to create the best learning environment possible for participants to absorb the combined learning of each session and therefore WE DO NOT ALLOW PARTIAL ATTENDANCE, you must commit to taking the entire workshop. The central components of this workshop help participants build their skills in the areas of creating safety and cohesion so that a group can do its best work together, using experiential activities to elicit the wisdom of the group and guide their learning, working with diversity within groups, and principles of design that support stronger workshops.
Application and Acceptance Process
We’re committed to accepting a diverse group for each training and to supporting folks with less access to resources to attend. People of color, working class folks, and folks from less-resourced organizations are encouraged to apply. We also aim to accept people with specific groups, projects, or organizations back home to apply what they learn. If you’d prefer to apply by phone instead of online, there is a phone number included in the application.