Position Title: Office & Admin Support
Organization: Training for Change, www.trainingforchange.org
Hours: 15-20 Hours/Week, dependent on time of year.
Location: West Philadelphia, PA. Applicant must be in the office 2x / week.
Reports To: Director(s)
Deadline: Applications are due February 21st, 2017.
Join a small but mighty team of people who are passionate about social change, direct education, and building power with communities that are directly affected by systemic injustice. Our work is rapidly expanding and the scope of what we do extends through our networks across the U.S., Canada, the world. As we grow, we are committed to maintaining a healthy work culture that reflects our commitment to social justice, anti-oppression, leadership development, and anti-capitalism.
Who We Are
Since 1992 Training for Change has provided activist trainings for groups standing up for social, economic, and environmental justice through strategic nonviolence. Our highly sought after training of trainers has impacted hundreds of thousands of people – from rank and file union members to interfaith coalitions for immigrant rights. Using our unique experiential approach to training, we create learning environments that provide practical tools and insights that activists can use, as well as opportunities for real growth, transformation, and empowerment.
The Office & Admin Support is responsible for the day-to-day operations of Training for Change. Joining a staff of two and a Bookkeeper (who works remotely), this person will be a part of a dedicated team. The Office & Admin Support will be involved with workshop logistics, maintaining data and managing training supply inventory plus other logistical needs. This person must have experience with Training for Change and be passionate about our mission and vision. Applicants who are detail oriented, able to multi-task, able to self-supervise and communicate effectively across difference are strongly encouraged to apply. The Office & Admin Support position works closely with all staff including remote staff (part-time bookkeeper and web tech). This position will interact on occasion with the trainers and board members who help Training for Change thrive.
· Support all pubic workshops by maintaining supplies inventory, assisting in the prep necessary for off-site trainings, and providing on-site help for trainings in Philadelphia (~4 throughout the year, on weekends).
· Assist with the overall success of the Super-T, a 19-day training of trainers held in Philadelphia from the end of May till mid-June. That primarily includes maintaining supplies inventory, supporting participant logistics, organizing the Super-T graduation (3rd Sunday of June) and working closely with a Super-T intern.
· Check the PO Box, send and distribute mail.
· Deposit and record checks.
· Update and organize files.
· Answer and appropriately route incoming phone calls.
· Manage all publication sales including filling book/PDF orders and updating inventory.
· Write and send invoices, receipts and some contracts, working with our Bookkeeper.
· Maintain equipment and inventory of office & training supplies.
· Update and maintain clean data. This includes tracking forwarding addresses, returned mail and managing the mailing list.
· Coordinate distribution of bulk mailings.
· Manage donor profiles. This includes tracking monthly donors and upkeep of donor records and some relationships.
· Occasional proofreading and light editing.
· Assist Director(s) in scheduling and coordinating of custom gigs, trainers and TFC operations.
· Pay attention to details, are highly organized and can problem-solve independently.
· Can self-supervise, manage time efficiently, and want to work on a team.
· Take direction and can give or receive feedback responsibly.
· Are available some weekends with notice, and especially from mid-May through mid-June.
· Have experience with database management, Google docs, PayPal and Excel.
· Can work with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Are flexible and forgiving, with special attention to the effect our tense political environment may have on those inside and outside the office.
· Have participated in a Training for Change workshop or have an extremely strong interest in learning more about our approach to training trainers.
The following additional areas of skill and experience are a bonus, but not required: knowledge of Power Base, CiviCRM, QuickBooks, accounting, Drupal, copy editing, Spanish fluency, a commitment of 2-3 years in this position.
Compensation & Schedule
Hourly rate commensurate with experience with a guarantee of 10-15 hrs/week on average. Specific work hours per week may vary according to workshop schedules. This position is hourly.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two references to Celia Kutz at email@example.com with “Office & Admin Support” in the subject line.
Training for Change is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ candidates, women, persons with disabilities and persons with past contact with the criminal justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.